Executing Refunds on the Worldpay Express Platform
For clients who are using the Worldpay Express platform to process transactions in ACME, you may encounter an "Invalid Account" error when trying to process a refund.
Worldpay will only retain a transaction ID in their database for 45 days, as per their data retention policy. After that time passes, refunds directly through ACME will no longer be possible. This is because the ACME required transaction ID is no longer available through the Worldpay API, which is why the transaction fails and triggers the error. The "invalid account" error is being generated because the account (or transaction ID) cannot be found in Worldpay.
If you come across orders that need to be refunded after this 45 day mark, the refund will need to be issued outside of ACME: either through a transaction edit in the Worldpay Portal, or by issuing an offline refund through other means.
How do I know which platform I am using to process payments?
In general, if you are using EMV credit card readers, you are on Express; if you are using MagTek credit card readers, you are on Vantiv Litle. To confirm this, someone with Admin permissions can check in Back Office by going to Settings>Administration>Payment. If the processor is set to Express, you are using the Express platform and this data retention policy will impact you.
How do I refund an order after 45 days?
If you need to issue a refund for an order that was placed more than 45 days ago, you will need to either through a transaction edit in the Worldpay Portal, or by issuing an offline refund through other means. ACME will not issue partial refunds for a single line item, so the amount must be consistent with the item(s) in the order. Refunds must be completed for an entire line item, though not all line items from an order must be included in the refund.
To make this process as efficient as possible we kindly ask that your organization please batch the requests together and send to ACME by end of day on Tuesday and Thursday each week using the template attached at the bottom of this article.
Step 1: Issue a refund
- If ACME is your Merchant of Record (MOR), please file a ticket with ACME Product Support and include the data listed in the below template
- If you are your own MOR, you have direct access to the Worldpay Portal for your account and can initiate the refund yourself.
- You can also issue a refund directly from your finance department if desired.
Step 2: Update the ACME Order via a Data Fix
- If you are your own MOR and issued a refund through the portal, or issued a refund directly, then please file a ticket with ACME Product Support and include the data listed in the below template. Please note for each applicable line when a refund has already been executed outside of ACME.
- If ACME is initiating the refund on your behalf in Step 1, then we will update the Order accordingly and a separate request for the data fix is not needed.
ACME will update your support ticket and notify you when the data fix is complete.